Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Make it Sweet

Today was sweet. I planned to go to yoga this morning but then I got working around the house. Let me back track.
I woke up too late... my five-year-old boy was already awake which means- don't even try to get in the shower until after he gets to school. So we are off with one minor tantrum before our family prayer. As soon as I dropped my little guy off he ran the whole way to his class, stumbling into people, arms out like the wings of a plane. There was no teacher on duty to holler, "Walk!" I knew in my soul he was going to have a rough day.
I get home and fold some clean laundry, ahhhh smells so good. I iron seven or eight things, then clean the kitchen. I take the girls to the grocery store (which I like to imagine is a market that they will have fond memories of from their childhood one day.) We come home, make lunch, and my youngest I put down for her nap. The funny thing is that when I was cleaning around the house I had been wondering about my son. I thought, "What's the worst that could happen? They tell me I can't bring him there anymore? It's a public school, they have to teach him." Well, the phone rang. It was the school. "Your son has been suspended for running out of the classroom and for pushing a boy against the wall. You can pick him up now if you want to." ..."Now why would I want to do that?" I asked her. "Part of the consequence is that he gets to sit in the office until 3:00 when school is over. I'll pick him up then." Well, I tried to stay calm. How did I know? I prayed and picked him up at 3:00. I didn't want to have to deal with temper tantrums for the rest of our day so I didn't talk to him about it until daddy got home. We've taught him and he knows he's not supposed to run away or hit people. When is my day when my son stands up and says, "I doubt not, my mother knew it!"? Not now. So daddy's consequence is that he has to stay in his room all day tomorrow until school is over; no staying home and having fun. Gee, just like jail. Have ya ever been tempted to take your kid on a tour of the detention center? Even stick em' in there with some mean guys for a few minutes?
There is so much to learn as a parent. The day was still sweet because I made a decision to stay home and take care of my house. It wasn't rushed and busy. I think I stay busy to keep myself going so I don't have to think about stress. So I can have things for my kids to do rather than quarrelling at home. I liked being home and giving my children the opportunity to problem-solve. When it came time to deal with my son I wasn't so stressed. Then I made another decision not to become angry but to deal with my son in the most responsible and practical way I could. It's also great to have a husband I can talk to. I wouldn't survive motherhood without him! And off to the church he went fot the night.
It's so sad to have to discipline our children, but it's so important that we do it with love (tough love too). All the while we are learning and developing further, ourselves.

No comments: