Friday, August 5, 2011

Like Our Father

I was kneeling down to pray tonight and thought about my little girl. I said, "Do you think our relationship would be better if I spent more one-on-one attention with her, really listening to all she has to talk about? Would all of my children be more obedient toward me if I strengthened each relationship that way rather than herding them around as a group?"

Then the epiphany came. That is the way our Heavenly Father does it; individually. He knows each one of us individually. He listens to all we have to say when we pray to Him.

I believe that when our children have those special times with us where they get to connect with us and really feel loved, they have an increased desire to please and obey us. This adds to family harmony and is another way for us to be like our Father in Heaven.

1 comment:

Allison Juarez said...

You know, I think about that concept everytime people start saying things like, "why would a loving God let thousands of people die in a tsunami/tornado/flood/etc." Especially when you hear about people that are kept safe and praise His name for it. It's because the Lord doesn't look at those people as "group of people." Every single one of those people who die are known individually by Him. And he knows which ones need to come back, which ones need to stay, and he might even give some of them the option of staying or going. He is a loving God who knows you and me.

And I truely believe that one on one time is good for every child. I took Ammon to the dolphin Habitat and pizza hut last night while Isaac took Hyrum camping in Utah. I find that to get good one on one time, I need to get away from my house and the distractions there. And I can't go somewhere where I know other people, because I will find myself talking to them and not the little guy who is with me. So we go someplace special. :)